Instagram ♥

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Humans of New York - Brandon Stanton

Found this on wechat moments a few days ago, and I'm intrigued. It is a facebook account of the name "Humans of New York". The photographer, Brandon Stanton has started this really creative and moving project, where he approaches random people in New York and took their pictures. What's really special about it is, he interviews them afterwards and putting it into the photo caption.

"The people and their unique stories make the pictures interesting. On their own, they wouldn't have the same impact," Stanton, 29, said in a phone interview this week from his home and studio in Brooklyn. 

I found some that I really like and share it here with you guys. :) Enjoy!



"Well there's this girl that I'm friends with, and you know, I like her, but I don't know if she likes me..."
"Do you mind if I share that?"
"I don't know, if you share it, she might figure it out."
"She'll definitely figure it out."
"... do it."







"My dad was just a working class Irish dude. He drank himself to death when I was fifteen, but he was a good dad when he was sober. I remember him taking me to a gay wedding on Christopher Street to teach me tolerance. And that was back in 1971."






"When I was young, I thought I'd be in a rocking chair by now. But it's not nearly as bad as I feared. My bones kind of ache on rainy days, but other than that, I like being 82."







"My wife is in the hospital right now with double pneumonia. Her kidneys failed on Wednesday, and she can't talk anymore. But I know she can hear me. I go in every day and talk into her ear."
"How did you meet her?"
"I was sitting on the stoop just like this. It was 1960. I was fourteen and just sitting on the stoop of my house, and this bodacious girl came up. Big legs, big thighs, and jeans so tight that I didn't know how she was walking down the road. She came right up and sat on my lap and didn't leave until the sun went down. A few years later we had a kid. And I stayed with her. It wasn't always great but I stayed with her."







"If you could change one thing about adults, what would it be?"
"A lot of them are grumpy."






"If you could give one piece of advice to a large group of people, what would it be?"
"I'd tell them the same thing I'd tell one person. That if you understand failure, you won't be afraid of it anymore. Failure isn't diving on your face, or hitting rock bottom. That's just being human. You only fail when you decide to not try again. So it's entirely in your control. Once you understand failure, it's impossible to fail."







"A coworker asked for my number the other day. My friends overheard and said: 'He must have a thing for Indians.' I was like, 'Or maybe I'm just really fucking cool.'"








"My happiest moments probably involve anything that invokes childhood." 
"Can you give me an example?"
"My cab driver and I missed a turn yesterday because we were swapping pictures of our cats."








I asked what he wanted to be when he grew up. 
He screamed: "A benny!" 
"What's a benny?" I asked.

"That's his name," said his mom.







"When he was dying, I said: 'Moe, how am I going to live without you?' He answered: 'Take the love you have for me, and spread it around."








"I can't stand moral absolutism. You know, there's always that guy who wants to point out that Martin Luther King cheated on his wife-- as if he obviously couldn't have been a great person if he did something like that. Or someone will bring out an inspirational quote, and get you to agree, and then inform you that Hitler said it. As if a good thought couldn't come from Hitler. Moral absolutism keeps us from learning from the past. It's easy to say: 'Hitler was a demon. Nazis were all bad seeds.' That's simple. It's much harder to say: 'Is that humanity? Is that me?'"








"When I was 20, I made a plan to get a good job and be secure. Now I'm 35, and I need a plan to be happy."









"What's the nicest thing your brother has ever done for you?"
"One time he made me a card. It said: 'Dear Steve, thanks for giving me a new toy.'"




No comments:

Post a Comment